Aim of tariff rate quotas
Tariff rate quotas (TRQs) allow a pre-determined quantity of a product to be imported at lower import duty rates (in-quota duty) than the duty rate normally applicable to that product.
Agricultural tariff rate quotas
TRQs related to agricultural products are currently managed through two different methods.
"First-come, first-served" method
These TRQs are managed by the European Commission's department for taxation and customs union.
Current balances and further information on TRQ allocations are held in the tariff quota consultation database.
Issuing of import or export licences
These TRQs are managed by the Commission's department for agriculture and rural development.
Tariff rate quota allocations are calculated based on the quantities available within the tariff rate quota and the quantities applied for, as notified to the Commission by the competent national authorities.
Once the allocation coefficients for import and export tariff rate quotas are calculated and made public by the Commission, EU countries must issue import or export licences for the quantities applied for within the respective tariff rate quotas.
Information is also available on licences that have been suspended, withdrawn or reinstated.
Data on trade and quotas, including weekly reports and statistics on TRQ allocations, is published in the agri-food data portal.
Licence operator registration and identification system
The Commission has set up the licence operator registration and identification (LORI) electronic system to record information on operators interested in applying for TRQs that require prior compulsory registration (so called LORI TRQs).
In accordance with Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/760 and Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/761, operators applying for the following tariff quotas should register in the LORI system:
09.4285, 09.4067, 09.4068, 09.4069, 09.4211, 09.4212, 09.4213, 09.4214, 09.4215, 09.4216, 09.4251, 09.4254, 09.4255, 09.4260, 09.4263, 09.4273, 09.4410, 09.4411, 09.4412, 09.4420, 09.4422
The Commission has produced detailed guidelines on how to use the LORI electronic system.
- Íoslódáilбългарски(1.01 MB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilespañol(844.1 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilčeština(995.28 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáildansk(837.64 KB - PDF)
- ÍoslódáilDeutsch(892.85 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáileesti(849.48 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilελληνικά(1.02 MB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilfrançais(839.68 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilhrvatski(1012.51 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilitaliano(1.11 MB - PDF)
- Íoslódáillatviešu(999.67 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáillietuvių(989.3 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilmagyar(1007.09 KB - PDF)
- ÍoslódáilMalti(947.57 KB - PDF)
- ÍoslódáilNederlands(901.77 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilpolski(962.82 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilportuguês(791.18 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilromână(1011.99 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilslovenčina(996.64 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilslovenščina(981.6 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilsuomi(778.54 KB - PDF)
- Íoslódáilsvenska(881.17 KB - PDF)
Brexit TRQs apportionment as of 1 January 2021
The Commission has published a table covering the apportionment of tariff rate quotas for certain agricultural products included in the WTO schedule of the EU, following the end of the transition period concerning the United Kingdom’s relationship with the EU. The table concerns the apportionment of TRQs whose quota period is ongoing on 1 January 2021 in accordance with Article 1(3) of Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/386 as amended by Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/2099.
The table published follows the methodology laid out in EU Regulation 2019/216, which provides that tariff rate quotas included in the EU’s schedule of concessions and commitments, annexed to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade 1994, are to be apportioned between the EU and the United Kingdom. This apportionment is based on the EU27 share in the quota usage set out in the annex to that Regulation.
Allocation coefficients and decisions
- The file "Allocation coefficients for import tariff rate quotas" is best used in combination with the bookmarks panel. In case that panel does not open, please download this document.
- The file "Allocation coefficients for import tariff rate quotas" indicates the available quantity for the next allocation in the TRQs table. In due course, this quantity might be updated with additional communicated unused quantities.
The legal basis governing the management of agricultural tariff rate quotas is contained in Regulation (EU) 1308/2013 and in different sectorial regulations.
As of 2021, the rules for the administration of tariff quotas for agricultural products managed with licences are laid down in Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/760 and Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/761.
As per OJ 2017/C 466/03 and from 1 January 2018 the results of import and export tariff rate quota allocations are published on the Commission website.
As of 2021, the rules for the administration of tariff rate quotas for agricultural products managed in accordance with the ‘first come, first served’ principle and with the legal basis in EU Regulation 1308/2013 are laid down in Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/1987 and Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/1988.